Joining the IRC channel
OWOOT has a chat channel on a server hosted by LinuxChix:
#owoot on server irc.linuxchix.org. (For advanced users: SSL is available on port 6697.)
These instructions are for newcomers to OWOOT or to IRC to help them join the OWOOT IRC channel.
What is IRC?
It is "Internet Relay Chat", a group instant messaging protocol. It is based around the idea of "channels", group meeting rooms where a number of people can talk (or type, really) at once. It is one of the oldest instant messaging protocols, often used by free software and computing groups.
Chatting in your web browser
You can join us using this link to OWOOT IRC via mibbit.com which will pop up a new window, ask you to enter a nickname and and then join you to the chat room.
In the longer term you may find using a dedicated chat client easier, especially if you eventually want to join more than one channel.
The Pidgin client (Linux, MS Windows)
These instructions assume that you have a program called "Pidgin" (formerly known as "Gaim") installed and can start it up. If you cannot get Pidgin installed or cannot start it, please join our email list and ask for help. Likewise if you would prefer to use a different client to Pidgin and need instructions.
Setting up Pidgin for the first time (this all only needs to be done once):
- Start Pidgin
- Open up the Pidgin accounts window. This is a window with 'Accounts' in the title bar at the top. If you have a 'Buddy List' window and cannot find an 'Accounts' window, go to the 'Accounts' menu and select 'Add/Edit'.
- In the 'Accounts' window', press the 'Add' button and an 'Add Account' window will open.
- In the 'Add Account' window:
- go to the 'Protocol' section and select 'IRC' from the drop down box.
- Type in a 'Screen Name' for yourself. This can be anything you like: your first name, your nickname, a silly name. You do not need to register for an account anywhere before using your name
- Type 'irc.linuxchix.org' into the 'Server' box.
- Press the 'Save' button. There is no need to enter anything for 'Password' or 'Alias'.
Connecting to the server and joining the channel once you are set up:
- In the 'Accounts' window, there will now be a line beginning with your chosen screen name and ending with '@irc.linuxchix.org'. There will be a checkbox next to it. If there is no tick in that checkbox, click on it and wait for a tick to appear, if there is a tick already leave it.
- Press the 'Close' button, the Accounts window will close.
- In the 'Buddy List' window, go to the 'Tools' menu and select 'Room list'
- If the '@irc.linuxchix.org' name is not already showing as chosen in the 'Account' drop down list, select it from the drop down list.
- Press the 'Get List' button at the bottom of the screen.
- Click on '#owoot' from the window that appears, and then click the 'Join' button at the bottom.
- A new window will pop up. This is the group chat. You type your messages into the large box at the bottom. Messages from you and other people will appear in the main large box. You can see a list of everyone in the chat on the right.
If you are using MacOS you can use Colloquy. Connect to server 'irc.linuxchix.org' and channel '#owoot'.
Other operating systems
For other operating systems, a list of IRC clients is available from ircreviews.org. Remember when following their documentation that our server is irc.linuxchix.org, and our channel is '#owoot'.
If you would like an encrypted connection to the IRC server, connect on port 6697 and set your client to use SSL.